Optimize GTCC operation with BESS (Battery Energy Storage System)
Industry: Electric power generation
Transition to renewables brings with it reliability concerns
As efforts to decarbonize gather pace, the utilization of renewable sources of energy has become a matter of urgency, resulting in a global boom in the construction of renewable generation facilities. At the same time, solar and wind energy are yet to fully live up to expectations, due to intermittent output of weather-dependent renewable energy and power grid limitations.
Power producers need solutions that improve reliability of supply
Many power producers are well acquainted with the performance of their generation plant based on the status of their own assets. Determining that it will be difficult to satisfy all portfolio requirements with their existing thermal plants alone, power producers are steadily adding renewable sources to the mix. Power producers also want to maintain and grow their businesses into the future, while increasing the amount of electricity they supply/sell. This requirement has caused power producers to turn to the option of using GTCC+BESS (Gas Turbine Combined Cycle generation combined with Battery Energy Storage System).
Hurdles must be overcome before implementing GTCC+BESS solutions
While GTCC+BESS is seen as the optimum solution for achieving these goals, many hurdles need to be overcome before a GTCC+BESS system is implemented. Below are some examples of the types of questions raised by power plant owners:
- How much battery capacity do we need to add to our current assets in order to boost and maximize revenue, while ensuring we can provide a stable supply of electricity?
- It is not known how batteries can best be integrated into GTCC generation in order to optimize operations. In addition, can we manage the battery systems inhouse?
- What types of battery technology are available? Can these batteries be installed in generation facilities where space is limited?
- Which provider offers the best solution in terms of reviewing, implementing and operating optimum BESS specifications? Will that provider offer BESS solutions to users of third-party turbines also?
KEY POINTS TO THE SOLUTION
- Optimized solutions tailored to your requirements
- A wide range of grid-scale BESS solutions are available
- Available to third-party turbine users too
Optimized solutions tailored to your requirements
Mitsubishi Power provides a one-stop service that includes all the solutions and implementation plans necessary to allow you to harness your BESS to ensure an uninterrupted power supply.
- Understanding the background to the project
- Designing and engineering a customized BESS
- Projection of load patterns
- Optimization of output, discharge time and capacity fade
- Quotation/economic assessment
A wide range of grid-scale BESS solutions are available
Mitsubishi Power provides a wide range of BESS solutions, from containerized systems to systems housed in dedicated buildings, to match the client’s generation capacity, available space and region.
Available to third-party turbine users too
Mitsubishi Power’s BESS solutions are available not only to those operating Mitsubishi turbines or equipment, but to anyone requiring BESS solutions.
- If you are interested in BESS but do not know where to start, Mitsubishi Power offers a one-stop service tailored to your requirements, including appropriate advice and specific implementation proposals.
- Several different battery types are available, enabling you to select the type that is best for the size of the site and your environment.
Click below to learn more about our solution
BESS (Battery Energy Storage System)
Amid an increased focus on renewable energy sources, BESS (Battery Energy Storage System) compensates for the intermittency of these sources, providing essential value for operators by enabling a stable supply of electricity thus avoiding curtailment of renewable energy and maximizing their revenue.