As the pace of decarbonization picks up all over the world, more and more Gas Turbine Power Plant owners are considering the switch of fuel from natural gas to hydrogen for carbon free combustion. Here we outline the solutions available to all such power plant owners from Mitsubishi Power.
The growing momentum of Energy Transition has led to an increasing number of Gas Turbine Power Plant owners to evaluate various options available to increase the value of their existing assets while continuing with sustainable operation.
Gas Turbine Power Plant owners generally have following major points to consider:
- What level of modification is required to switch the fuel from natural gas to hydrogen?
- How does the modifications differ with different level (%) of hydrogen mix?
- Is it possible to establish a roadmap with a realistic time frame to establish a reliable hydrogen supply chain to the power plant?
CAPABILITIES AND FEATURES
- Mitsubishi Power has an extensive proven track record on operating gas turbines on hydrogen rich fuels since the 1970s and the past studies from leading hydrogen conversion projects in Europe and elsewhere.
- Mitsubishi Power is already working with several Gas Turbine Power Plant owners to draw their tailormade roadmap considering their specific conditions to initially enable hydrogen co-firing and, in some cases, to switch to 100% hydrogen firing in the future.
- With this expertise, Mitsubishi Power can conduct feasibility studies for power plants to determine the optimized solutions for the hydrogen switch including cost and schedule.
BENEFITS FOR THE CLIENT
- Gas Turbine Power Plant owners can establish the best possible roadmap for the hydrogen conversion from plan to actual execution depending on their strategy and the status of their specific power plants.
- Working with Mitsubishi Power, power plant owners can formulate an optimized scenario for reducing the carbon emissions with minimal modifications while maximizing the utilization of the rest of their power generation assets.
Hydrogen Gas Turbine
This is a solution for the Gas Turbine Power Plant owners who are considering converting their existing gas turbines to hydrogen co-firing, or even foreseeing 100% hydrogen firing in the near future.